Seascape
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seascape

Life in Miramar Beach and the surrounding planets

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall

Go down 
AuthorMessage
justdhf
Admin
justdhf

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall Empty
PostSubject: Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall   Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 9:56 am

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall (Official)

When Lynyrd Skynyrd's lead vocalist Ronnie Van Zant and guitarist Allen Collins wrote the song "That Smell," they were basically predicting the future.  

"That Smell" was released in 1977 off of the band's fifth studio album Street Survivors. Although the song was never released as a single, it has an interesting story behind it that simply cannot be ignored.

Ronnie was inspired to write the song due to what he saw as an increasing amount of recklessness in the band, especially when it came to the use of drugs and alcohol. As a result, him and Allen wrote "That Smell" as a warning against such behavior.

In the book Classic Rock Stories by Tim Morse, Ronnie said he was worried about what could happen to the band if they kept up their behavior. "I had a creepy feeling things were going against us, so I thought I'd write a morbid song," he said.

The lyrics are a haunting reminder to never take a single day for granted, saying that "tomorrow might not be here for you" and the "angel of darkness is upon you."

Street Survivors was released on October 17, 1977, featuring "That Smell" as the second track on the album. Three days later on October 20, Ronnie and several of the other band members were killed in a plane crash on their way to a show in Louisiana.  

With all of that in mind, "That Smell" takes on a whole new meaning as being slightly prophetic, predicting the tragedy that would strike the band days after its release.

Just months before the plane crash, the band performed the song during a concert at the Convention Hall in Asbury Park, New Jersey. You can watch that performance in the video above.

The story behind "That Smell" is certainly a dark one, but when put into context, it makes you have an even greater appreciation for the truly unforgettable song.  

LYRICS BELOW

Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars Oak tree you're in my way
There's too much coke and too much smoke
Look what's going on inside you

Ooooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell
The smell of death surrounds you

Angel of darkness is upon you
Stuck a needle in your arm
So take another toke,
have a blow for your nose
One more drink fool, will drown you

Ooooh that smell
Ooooh that smell

Now they call you Prince Charming
Can't speak a word when you're full of 'ludes
Say you'll be all right come tomorrow
But tomorrow might not be here for you

Ooooh that smell
Ooooh that smell

Hey, you're a fool you
Stick them needles in your arm
I know I been there before
One little problem that confronts you
Got a monkey on your back
Just one more fix,
Lord might do the trick
One hell of a price for you to get your kicks

Ooooh that smell
Ooooh that smell
Ooooh that smell
Ooooh that smell

http://countryrebel.com/blogs/videos/82408515-lynyrd-skynyrd-delivers-chilling-performance-of-unforgettable-song-that-smell?a=mr&var=LSOfficial-ThatSmell
Back to top Go down
http://domania.us/justdhf/index.html

Lynyrd Skynyrd - That Smell - 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall
Page 1 of 1