Life in Miramar Beach and the surrounding planets

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Researchers find undersea gas leaks off Israel's coast

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
justdhf
Admin

PostSubject: Researchers find undersea gas leaks off Israel's coast   Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:03 pm

The terms "gas" and "sea" for many will invoke associations of reserves, business, and a lot of money. Whatever the association, most of the efforts in Israel's energy field are being directed at gas buried deep under the Mediterranean seabed. Now a new geophysical study, the first of its kind in Israel, has uncovered a system of active gas springs in the Haifa Bay seabed, at relatively shallow depths, only a few dozen meters below the surface.

The study, published in the journal Continental Shelf Research, describes the entire system, from its sources under the sea floor through the natural springs emerging from the seabed. "This is a natural laboratory for researching gas emissions from the sea floor - natural springs and less natural ones. We are only beginning to understand their contribution to climate and ecological change," said Dr. Uri Schattner of the Leon H. Charney School of Marine Sciences at the University of Haifa, who led the research.

PhysOrg.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2012

Read the Story Here

Researchers find undersea gas leaks off Israel's coast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1